CephFS, multiple nodes sharing 1 cephfs mount, Kernel NULL pointer dereference

Hello.

I just recently started using Ceph FS, and by recommendation by the developers of it in the IRC channel, I decided to start off with 0.55, or rather whatever's closest to that in the latest git checkout from git's master on 12/12/2012.

So far, everything is good RBD-wise, very fast, in fact better than expected fast. But, I have found an issue in regards to CephFS in mounting it not through RBD, but from mount.ceph and ceph-fuse.

Before going into detail, I will explain the setup I have involved:

3 dedicated storage servers. Each with 1 120 GB SSD which is used for the OS to boot from, plus it holds partitions for XFS logdev journals of each of the spindle drives, and partitions for each of the Ceph OSD's, and the mon and mds partitions are used for storage as well. Each server has 3 spindle drives, which are, on each server, 1 1TB SATA3, 1 500GB SATA2, 1 320GB SATA2, and are setup with whole-disk XFS and mounted in their OSD locations.

What utilizes these are 4 hypervisor servers using Proxmox VE 2.2.

The network in use is currently 1 1Gb dedicated private network for just the storage network. LAN traffic has it's own network separately.

Here's the problem I'm having:

I run 2 webservers that prior to Ceph, I would use NFSv4 for their /var/www mount. These servers are load-balanced under LVS using pacemaker+ldirectord on 2 dedicated LVS director server VM's. The webservers themselves are freshly upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 (since the Ceph apt repos did not have lucid packages). I started off with the stable ceph repo, then switched to the unstable repo. Both of which had the same problem.

When I get Webserver 1 to "mount.ceph mon1:/web1 /var/www" it is VERY fast, in fact, I have external monitoring reporting on my server, and my access time from NFSv4 to CephFS got shorter, from averaging 740ms to 610ms access time.

When I add Webserver 2 to the mount, using the same mount volume is when the trouble begins. Apache starts and locks up, even get a kernel message that apache2 has locked up for 120 seconds.

When I try to ls -lR /var/www from Webserver 2, it starts doing so, but locks up in the process. The only recovery for this is to shut down the VM entirely, which then starts spouting out kernel oops stack traces with ceph_d_prune+0x22/0x30 [ceph]

When I do the same with the Webserver 1, to make sure it's sane, it too causes a kernel oops stack trace when rebooting, but comes back up to normal when booted back up.

I took screenshots of the kernel stack dump and can send them if need-be. It's in 5 pieces due to the limits of the console viewer for Proxmox VE but it is complete.

I'm also on OFTC network's #ceph channel as Psi-Jack, to be able to discuss this during the times I am actively around.

Thank you,
Eric Renfro