Re: OSDs don't actually delete files when two CephFS (or more) are in use

On 12/10/2012 10:34 AM, Geoffrey Hartz wrote:
Hi.

I wait about more than 15 minutes. I was doing some benchmark when I
noticed that the space never go back to normal..

How can I disable this behavior? It's on Ceph side?

With one client, OSD are cleaned after few seconds, this sounds normal

Actually after discussing with Greg and Sage, it sounds like this is a bug. The issue is that the client that didn't remove the file is caching the dentry indefinitely. I've created a ticket to track the issue here: http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/3601.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a good workaround for the time being. You can try to evict those cached dentries by creating/accessing a bunch of other files, but the default cache size on the client is 16384, which is a lot of files to touch just to free up the space for those removed files. :-)

You can decrease the cache size with the config option client_cache_size:

[client]
	client cache size = 128

Then you only have to create/touch 128 files to evict the other files from the cache. That's not ideal, because reducing the cache size will affect your overall performance, but if you know that you won't be accessing a lot of files anyway, its probably your best bet.

-sam