Re: [ceph-commit] [ceph/ceph] e6a154: osx: compile on OSX

On 9 Dec 2012, at 18:22, Noah Watkins wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Oooh, very nice! Do you have a list of the dependencies that you actually needed to install?
>
> I can put that together. They were boost, gperf, fuse4x, cryptopp. I
> think that might have been it.

Is libaio really needed to build ceph-fuse? I use macports on my system and the last time I tried to make a change set to let ceph/ceph-fuse build on my laptop failed as I didn't have libaio, though I could just write a port for it.

>> Apart from breaking this up into smaller patches, we'll also want to reformat some of it. Rather than sticking an #if APPLE on top of every spin lock, we should have utility functions that do this for us. ;)
>
> Definitely. OSX has spinlock implementations for user space, but it's
> going to take some reading. For example, spinlocks in Ceph are
> initialized for shared memory, rather than the default private. It
> isn't clear from documentation what the semantics are of OSX
> spinlocks, nor is it clear if the shared memory attribute is needed.
>
>> Also, we should be able to find libatomic_ops for OS X (its parent project works under OS X), and we can use that to construct a spin lock if we think it'll be useful. I'm not too sure how effective its muteness are at spinlock-y workloads.
>
> This patch set uses the OSX atomic inc/dec ops, rather than spinlocks.
>
> Another fun fact:
>
> msg/Pipe.cc and common/pipe.c are compiled into libcommon_la-Pipe.o
> and libcommon_la-pipe.o, but HFS+ is case-insensitive by default.
> Result is duplicate symbols. That took a while to figure out :P

good catch, that might explain why my last look at ceph on osx failed so miserably.

Jimmy.

--
Senior Software Engineer, Digital Repository of Ireland (DRI)
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,