Re: Disabling journal

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012, Stefan Priebe wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> > With btrfs, yes, although this isn't something we have tested in a while.
> I'm not using btrfs as long as the devs claim it is not ready for prod.

In that case, the journal is needed for consistency of the fs; we rely on
writeahead journaling.  It can't be turned off.

Putting it on a ramdisk in this case is interesting for performance, but
it means that a crash/reboot/powerloss event leaves the fs in an
inconsistent and unusable state.

The only time tmpfs is potentially useful in production is when you're
using btrfs *and* have independent backup power sources for replicas (and
can thus avoid worrying about a site-wide power failure and loss of
journal).  (Or have relaxed requirements for the durability of recent
writes.)

sage