Re: Ceph journal

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempesta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In a multi replica cluster (for example, replica = 3) is safe to set
> journal on a tmpfs?
> As fa as I understood with journal enabled all writes are wrote on
> journal and then to disk in a second time.
> If node hangs when datas are still on journal (and journal is not on a
> permanent disk), some data lost could happens.
>
> In a multi replica environment, other nodes should be able to write
> the same datas to disk, right? I this case, using a journal on a tmpfs
> should be safe enough.

Unless you're using btrfs which writes to the journal and osd fs
concurrently, if you lose the journal device (such as due to a
reboot), you've lost the osd device, requiring it to be remade and
re-added.

This is what I understand at least. If I'm wrong one of the devs will
strike me down I'm sure ;)

t.