RGW in Bobtail

We've been quite busy in the last few months, and the next ceph long
term is right around the corner so here's a list of some of the new
features rgw is getting:

 - Garbage collection

This removes the requirement of running a periodic cleanup process to
purge stale data, as rgw now handles it by itself. It also takes care
of a possible race that was possible with the old method (if not used
correctly) where still-in-use objects could be removed.

 - New usage statistics

The new usage statistics are powerful, though lightweight. They reduce
the load on the cluster, and they provide indexed user usage
information. It is possible to request a specific user's activity
record within a specific timeframe. Note that the records granularity
are now 1 hour.

 - RESTful API for usage

As a first go in doing a RESTful management API, we've created an API
to access and purge the users' usage data. As part of this work, we've
added the possibility to turn on and off specific APIs (s3, swift,
management).

 - POST object

A long standing missing feature was the ability to upload an object
through http POST, which makes it possible to create web forms that
upload objects. It is compatible with the S3 POST object operation.

 - Vanity host names (through DNS CNAME)

With this feature, it is possible for the users to have their own
domain appear as serving objects. A user would set a DNS CNAME record
in their domain that would point at their bucket, and for any request
coming in to that host name, rgw will serve the correct bucket.

 - Striping for all objects

In order to make sure the load is spread uniformly across the cluster,
all objects will be striped.

 - Extend APIs

Swift manifest object, S3 multi objects delete, etc.

 - Keystone

This is not completely implemented yet, but it is likely that it will
make it to Bobtail. We'll make it so that Swift authentication (and
user management) will be able to go through Keystone.

There was also a lot of internal cleanup that was done, as we prepared
for the future. Some notable features that we have been thinking of
and may make it for the nearer future post Bobtail:
 - complete management API: everything that is controllable via
radosgw-admin will also be handled through a RESTful api
 - support for multiple "domains": a domain is the collection of users
and their buckets (what is currently a single rgw instance)
 - libradosgw: a library to control rgw objects and management
 - multiple ceph clusters support
 - object caching
 - dedup
 - alternative frontend (e.g., use embedded http server)

Yehuda