From: "Matt W. Benjamin" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Sage Weil" <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "aemerson" <aemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "casey" <casey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "peter honeyman" <peter.honeyman@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:35:12 PM
Subject: Re: parent xattrs on file objects

Hi Sage,

We've been exploring (experimentally implementing) a different solution to this problem, basically refactoring dirents and inodes, extending fragmentation logic, and adding new metadata location operations.  We also remove the anchor table.  We were planning to ask for some feedback once we had some initial results, but since you're floating a related idea, we'd like to share what we have so far.  CC'ing people.

Regards,

Matt

----- "Sage Weil" <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey-
>
> One of the design goals of the ceph fs was to keep metadata separate
> from
> data.  This means, among other things, that when a client is creating
> bunch of files, it creates the inode via the mds and writes the file
> data
> to the OSD, but no mds->osd interaction is necessary.
>
> One of the challenges we currently have is that it is difficult to
> lookup
> an inode by ino.  Normally clients traverse the hierarchy to get
> there, so
> things are fine for native ceph clients, but when reexporting via NFS
> we
> can get ESTALE because we an ancient nfs file handle can be presented
> and
> the ceph MDS won't know where to find it.  We have a similar problem
> with
> the fsck design in that it is not always possible to discover orphaned
>
> children of directory that was somehow lost.
>
> One option is to put an ancestor xattr on the first object for each
> file,
> similar to what we do for directories.  This basically means that each
>
> file creation will be followed (eventually) by a setxattr osd
> operation.
> This used to scare me, but now it's seeming like a pretty small price
> pay for robust NFS reexport and additional information for fsck to
> utilize.
>
> It's also nice because it means we could get rid of the anchor table
> (used
> for locating files with multiple hard links) entirely and use the
> ancestore xattrs instead.  That means one less thing to fsck, and
> avoids
> having to invest any time in making the anchor table effectively scale
> (it
> currently doesn't).
>
> Anyone feel like we shouldn't go ahead and do this?
>
> sage
> --
> in

Matt Benjamin