Re: chaos monkeys

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Sam Lang <sam.lang@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Putting a delay on the sender would avoid the reordering of messages that
> have semantic meaning but allow delay-caused reordering to occur for those
> that have no semantic dependency.
>
> You're right that reordering at the receiver won't work, but it would be
> nice to have more concrete examples.  The only example I can come up with is
> the unsafe/safe messages from mds to client.  Even in that case it looks
> like we handle it by throwing away the unsafe message.  What other examples
> exist?  Caps issue/revoke?

in the OSDs then requests to the same object are all strictly ordered,
and responses need to be ordered in the same way — everybody through
the whole chain asserts out if that's not the case.

I haven't thought it through on the MDS, but yeah, caps messages on
the same inode (or inodes in a hierarchical relationship) all need to
be ordered. Most of the rest of its messages I can come up with aren't
going to have semantic meanings without the client already waiting, so
it's got fewer problems than the OSDs do.