Newbie questions

Hi all,

I've been investigating cluster filesystems for a while now, and I have a few questions about Ceph I hope you don't mind me asking here. This is in the context of using Ceph as a POSIX filesystem and alternative to something like NFS.

1. Is Ceph stable enough for "real" use yet? I read that upgrading to v0.48 required a reformat, which I imagine would be a bit of an issue in a production system. Is this how upgrades are normally done? Is anyone running Ceph in a production environment with real data yet?

2. Why does the wiki say that you can run one or three monitor daemons, but running two is worse than one? Wouldn't running two be less work than running three?

3. If I have multiple disks in a machine that I can dedicate to Ceph, is it better to RAID them and present Ceph with a single filesystem, or do you get better results by giving Ceph a filesystem on each disk and letting it look after the striping and any faulty disks?

4. How resilient is the system? I can find a lot of information saying one node can go away without any data loss, but does that mean losing a second node will take everything down? Can you configure it such that every node has a complete copy of the cluster, so as long as any one node survives, all the data is available?

5. Given that the cluster filesystem contains files, which are then stored as other files in a different filesystem, does this affect performance much? I'm thinking of something like a git repository which accesses file metadata a lot, and seems to suffer a bit if it's not running off a local disk.

Hopefully I'm not asking questions which are already covered in the documentation - if so please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,
Adam.