Re: Slow ceph fs performance

I realize I'm a little late to this party but since collectl was mentioned
thought I'd jump in.  ;)

Whenever I do any file system testing I also have a copy of collectl running in
another window.
Just looking at total transfer times can end up taking you down
the wrong path.
What is there are long stalls and very burst I/O?  could be a
starved resource or network issue that has nothing to do with he disks at all.

As for iostat, while you're certainly welcome to use it and I based the collectl
output display format on it, I'd highly recommend using iostat -x to see
wait/service times as those can be key to seeing what's happening.

Also, if you use collectl in stead with "-sD --home" you'll basically see the
output in a top-like format, making it real easy to see what's happening.
Further if you apply the right filter you can simply watch a single disk, line by
line w/o any pesky headers in your way.

-mark