Re: Determining when it's safe to reboot a node?

Hi Nick,

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Nick Bartos wrote:
> I need to figure out some way of determining when it's OK to safely
> reboot a single node.  I believe this involves making sure that at
> least one other monitor is running and up to date, and all the PGs on
> the local OSDs have up to date copies somewhere else in the cluster.
> We're not concerned about MDS at this time, since we're not currently
> using the POSIX filesystem.
>
> I recall having a verbal conversation with Sage on this topic, but
> apparently I didn't take good notes or I can't find them.  I do
> remember the solution was somewhat complicated.  Is there any sort of
> straight forward 'ceph' command that can do this now?  If there isn't
> one, I think it would be really great if something like that could be
> implemented.  It would seem to be a common enough use case to have a
> simple command which could tell the admin if rebooting the node would
> render the cluster partially unusable.

Making a conservative determination should be pretty straightforward.
Something like:

 - make sure losing any local mon won't break quorum
 - make sure all PGs touching local osd(s) are active+clean and have other
   osds in the acting set

should do the trick, as a first pass at least.  This can all be done by
analyzing the 'ceph pg dump --format=json', 'ceph osd dump --format=json',
and 'ceph quorum_status'.  The annoying part is just mapping ip addresses
to osds and mons to figure out which ones are local...

sage