Re: How are you using Ceph?

Well I've used Btrfs on and off for two years now I think - in less
critical situations though (at home, on testing equipment at work and
on easily rebuildable systems). I've been bitten several times before
so I know there've been serious problems with it.
With Kernel 3.5 I had a pretty good feeling about it and I ran it for
some time without any issues at all so I based my decision to try it
on that and on the fact that we store to AWS S3 as well and can
actually switch over to that as the primary store if we need to,
though with much worse throughput (though throughput isn't extremely
important to us). So far it's been holding up pretty well, though I
guess we're neither the most write or read intensive out there.

For development we use VMs with Ceph on our laptops - those are
running Btrfs on Kernel 3.2 and we've had issues on them, so I think
something good happened to Btrfs on 3.4/3.5.

I'll keep you posted on how it works out for us on 3.5.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>
> -Nick

> Our use of Ceph started pretty recently (this summer). We only use
> rados together with the radosgw. We moved from another distributed
> storage solution that had failed us more than once and we lost data.
> Since the old system had an http interface (not S3 compatible though)
> we looked around for another similar system. In the end we chose Ceph
> since it had been in development for quite some time, had been
> incorporated in the kernel (well, the client for the fs that is) and
> recently got a company behind it. Ceph felt pretty solid, even though
> it's still early days I guess.
>
> We obviously liked the fact that it has an S3 compatible interface,
> especially since we started backing up data to Amazon S3 some time ago
> - having the same interface simplified our client code tremendously.
> We don't actually need extreme throughput (yet anyway :-) but we do
> need replication. We're quite happy with the performance so far since
> it's better than our old system.
> We store medical data for archival and conversion from and to
> different formats. Since we (after previous failures in the old
> storage system) store everything in Amazon S3 as well, we made a bet
> on Kernel 3.5 and Btrfs with compression for some quite dramatic space
> savings - the data we store often compresses really well. So far we
> haven't regretted that choice, but we've only been running it in
> production for about two months while slowly phasing out the old
> storage system.
>
> John
>
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM, Mark Nelson  wrote:
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> All I have to say, is that is totally awesome and scary at the same time. :)
>>
>> Glad to hear that it recovers well when people shut their desktops off!
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> On 09/17/2012 05:47 PM, Nick Couchman wrote:
>>>
>>> My use of Ceph is probably pretty unique in some of the aspects of
>>> where/how I'm using it.  I run an IT department for a medium-sized
>>> engineering firm.  One of my goals is to try to make the best possible use
>>> of the hardware we're deploying to users' desktops.  Often times users
>>> cannot get by with a thin client and a VM somewhere, they actually need
>>> decent hardware on the desktop.  However, when the hardware isn't being
>>> used, it's nice to be able to have access to some of the free disk space,
>>> I/O bandwidth, memory, and CPU cycles available on the hardware.  So, Ceph
>>> is part of an overall strategy for making use of the hardware.  I'm guessing
>>> most folks run it on racked servers in datacenters, but I'm distributing it
>>> across desktops.
>>>
>>> I've started by rolling out Linux to the desktop bare metal rather than
>>> Windows.  I run openSuSE 12.1, probably moving to 12.2 here in the
>>> near-future (I have Ceph packages available and built for openSuSE 11.4,