Re: safe to defrag XFS on live system?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Travis Rhoden <trhoden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On a running Ceph cluster using XFS for the OSD's, is it safe to
> defrag the OSD devices while the system is live?
>
> I did a quick check of one device:
>
> xfs_db -c frag -r /dev/sdd
> actual 637596, ideal 144935, fragmentation factor 77.27%

If it's safe to defrag xfs while it's mounted in general, it's safe to
do it when an OSD is running. Xfs either keeps its promises as a
filesystem, or doesn't.

How that affects performance is another question..

> While I'm talking about XFS...  I know that RBD's use a default object
> size of 4MB.  I've stuck with that so far..  Would it be beneficial to
> mount XFS with -o allocsize=4M ?  What is the object size that gets
> used for non-RBD cases -- i.e. just dumping objects into data pool?

Don't know about -o allocsize -- benchmark it!

Objects are the size they are; Ceph does not dictate any size. RBD and
CephFS both stripe a thing (image/file) over multiple objects, at a
constant size; you already know that, RBD defaults to 4MB. Other users
of RADOS create objects of any size they please, and an OSD stores
those as files in the underlying filesystem.