Re: ceph-fs tests

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Smart Weblications GmbH - Florian
Wiessner <f.wiessner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 05.09.2012 18:22, schrieb Tommi Virtanen:
>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Smart Weblications GmbH - Florian
>> Wiessner <f.wiessner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> i set up a 3 node ceph cluster 0.48.1argonaut to test ceph-fs.
>>>
>>> i mount ceph via fuse, then i downloaded kernel tree and decompressed a few
>>> times, then stopping one osd (osd.1), afer a while of recovering, suddenly:
>

>> Please provide English error messages when you share things with the
>> list. In this case I can figure out what the message is, but really,
>> we're all pattern matching animals and the specific strings in
>> /usr/include/asm-generic/errno.h are what we know.
>>

> OK, will change locales.
>
>>> no space left on device, but:
>>>
>>> 2012-09-04 18:46:38.242840 mon.0 [INF] pgmap v2883: 576 pgs: 512 active+clean,
>>> 64 active+recovering; 1250 MB data, 14391 MB used, 844 MB / 15236 MB avail;
>>> 36677/215076 degraded (17.053%)
>>>
>>> there is space left?
>>
>> Only 844 MB available, with the pseudo-random placement policies,
>> means you practically are out of space.
>>
>> It looks like you had only 15GB to begin with, and with typical
>> replication, that's <5GB usable space. That is dangerously small for
>> any real use; Ceph currently does not cope very well with running out
>> of space.
>>

> It is a test-cluster running on my thinkpad, its main purpose is to test cephfs,
> there is no need for real space. I added osd.1 again, then after recovery the
> problem went away. I forced this situation to check how cephfs will behave when
> cluster is near-full, osd fails and ceph tries to recover until backfill fills
> up other osds so ceph is full.
>
> I observed on the client that no IO was possible anymore so that the client was
> unusable.
>
> Is there a smarter way to handle this? It is bad that cephfs then stalls, it
> would be better if it just returns that there is no space left, but still allow
> read access... can this be tuned somewhere?

What client were you using? I believe it does allow reads while full —
but your client can pretty easily get itself into a situation where it
needs to perform writes in order to continue doing reads.