Re: Is there any way to throttle recovery?

On 09/03/2012 08:42 AM, Vladimir Bashkirtsev wrote:
Hello devs,

I have noticed that while ceph recovering from OSD failure RBD
performance becomes dismal. Judging by load on the net ceph attempts to
shuffle around huge amount of data leaving virtually no bandwidth for
normal operations. Is there any way to throttle recovery process?
Network throttling is out of question as it will slow everything down.
So I guess ceph should have (or already has) a setting which says do not
recover faster than X.

I don't know if there is a bandwidth throttle, but you could lower the number of recovery ops with:

osd recovery max active = 1

By default it is set to 5, by tuning this down you'll put less stress on the OSDs and it will probably also result in less network traffic.

Wido

Regards,
Vladimir