Re: Very unbalanced storage

On 09/01/2012 12:05 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Xiaopong Tran wrote:
Hi,

Ceph storage on each disk in the cluster is very unbalanced. On each
node, the data seems to go to one or two disks, while other disks
are almost empty.

I can't find anything wrong from the crush map, it's just the
default for now. Attached is the crush map.

This is usually a problem with the pg_num for the pool you are using.  Can
you include the output from 'ceph osd dump | grep ^pool'?  By default,
pools get 8 pgs, which will distribute poorly.

sage

Here is the pool I'm interested in:

pool 9 'yunio2' rep size 3 crush_ruleset 0 object_hash rjenkins pg_num 8 pgp_num 8 last_change 216 owner 0

So, ok, by default, the pg_num is really small. That's a very dumb
mistake I made. Is there any easy way to change this?

I looked at the tunables, if I upgrade to v0.48.1 or v0.49,
then would I be able to tune the pg_num value?

Thanks for any help, this is quite a serious issue.

Xiaopong