Re: Ideal hardware spec?

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Mark Nelson <mark.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> say what people would do with it except that it would be many
>> different things and the use profile would be constantly changing
>> (which is true of all our existing storage).
>>
>> In this sense, even though it's a "private cloud" the somewhat
>> unpredictable useage profile gives it some charateristics of a small
>> public cloud.
>>
>> Size wise I'm hoping to start out with 3 monitors  and  5(+) OSD nodes
>> to end up with a 20-30T 3x replicated storage (call me paranoid).
>>
>> So the monitor specs seem relatively easy to come up with.  For the
>> OSDs it looks like
>> http://ceph.com/docs/master/install/hardware-recommendations suggests
>> 1 drive, 1 core and  2G RAM per OSD (with multiple OSDs per storage
>> node).  On list discussions seem to frequently include an SSD for
>> journaling (which is similar to what we do for our current ZFS back
>> NFS storage).
>>
>> I'm hoping to wrap the hardware in a grant and willing to experiment a
>> bit with different software configurations to tune it up when/if I get
>> the hardware in.  So my imediate concern is a hardware spec that will
>> ahve a reasonable processor:memory:disk ratio and opinions (or better
>> data) on the utility of SSD.
>

> Before I joined up with Inktank, I was prototyping a private openstack cloud
> for HPC applications at a supercomputing site.  We similarly were pursuing
> grant funding.  I know how it goes!
>

>> First is the documented core to disk ratio still current best
>> practice?  Given a platform with more drive slots could 8 cores handle
>> more disk? would that need/like more memory?
>

> The big thing is the CPU and memory needed during recovery.  During standard
> operation you shouldn't be pushing the CPU too hard unless you are really
> pushing data through fast and have many drives per node, or have severely
> underspecced the CPU.
>
> Given that you are only shooting for around 90TB of space across 5+ osd
> nodes, you should be able to get away with 12 2TB+ drive 2U boxes. That's
> probably the closest thing we have right now to a "standard" configuration.
> We use a single 6-core 2.8GHz AMD operation chip in each node with 16GB of
> memory.  It might be worth bumping that up to 24-32GB of memory for very
> large deployments with lots of OSDs.
>
> In terms of controller we are using Dell H700 cards which are similar to LSI
> 9260s, but I think there is a good chance that it may actually be better to
> use H200s (ie LSI 9211-8i or similar) with the IT/JBOD mode firmware.
> That's one of the commonly used cards in ZFS builds too and has a pretty
> good reputation.
>
> I've actually got a supermicro SC847a chassis and a whole bunch of various
> SATA/SAS/RAID controllers I'm testing now in different configurations.
> Hopefully I should have some data soon.  For now, our best tested
> configuration is with 12 drive nodes.  Smaller 1U nodes may be an option as

I've worked a bit with a Supermicro 36 drive bay chassis, though I've
since moved on from the organization we had them in place at. I quite
liked them. Wrote a bit of a blog post about them too
(http://serverascode.com/2012/06/07/36-hot-swappable-day-supermicro-chassis.html)
so I'm excited to see Inktank trying them out.

The place I currently work at is a big OpenStack user and thinking
about Ceph, but is not, as of yet, interested in a chassis like the
Supermicro, so please post about your findings. :)

Thanks,
Curtis.