ESXi and ideal hardware spec

Hi all,

As part of the ideal hardware spec thread that has been going around, I
wanted to ask comments on virtualizing the OS.  Since my deployment would
eventually be co-located at a remote "lights out" environment,  I require
that I have support for:

	out of band remote access on dedicated port
		- Dell DRAC
		- HP iLO
		- SuperMicro IPMI with KVM
		- ASUS with Remote Management Chip
		- VMWare on the actual virtual machine instances.

	Remote monitoring of physical hardware
		- Dell OpenManage
		- HP Insight Manager
		- SuperMicro SuperDoctor III
		- VMWare

	Integration with a Service Monitor solution
		- Nagios
		- Zabbix
		- VMWare

One thing that integrates well with all of these is the free VMWare ESXi
Hypervisor.

Are there any thoughts on placing all Ceph nodes as single virtual machines
running on top of an ESXi hypervisor?   What I mean by this is that each
brick runs ESXi and then only runs one virtual machine.

Are there any advantages of running the MON and MDS servers as independent
virtual machines on the same physical brick as an OSD virtual machine
(rather than just running the processes)?  Multi-port Ethernet systems can
segregate traffic between the instances...

- Steve