Re: Ideal hardware spec?

On 08/26/2012 06:15 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
CC'ing this one back to the list.

On 08/25/2012 09:58 PM, Andrey Korolyov wrote:

They should be much more reliable than regular USB sticks due to
their SLC
memory.

You could also take a look at these:
http://www.transcend-info.com/industry/products_details.asp?CatNo=2&SerNo=14&ModNo=28&Func1No=1

Did you tried yet those or simular sticks for CEPH journal? Right now
I am using Intel 313`s, which is very fast and have durability/price
ratio a far higher than any imaginable MLC, but they occupying one HDD
slot which is a quite impractical.

No, I haven't tried, but I think it won't work.

These kind of SLC chips don't do random writes that great, you'll
probably get something like 4MB/sec in random writes.

Bigger SSDs have more cells to spread the writes over, those small
sticks don't.

The Intel 3XX or 5XX serie should work just fine for journaling, I'd
however recommend you change the Host Protected Area to ~50% of the
available capacity to prevent write-degradation over time.

Wido

Not just write degradation, but undersubscribing the SSDs should hopefully help them last a little longer under such a heavy write workload. We are doing 3 10GB journals per 180GB Intel 520 on our supermicro test node.

Mark