Re: Ideal hardware spec?

On 08/24/2012 04:17 PM, Stephen Perkins wrote:

Your SPOF would still be your whole SAS setup.

Well... I'm not sure I would consider it a single point of failure...  a
pair of cross-connected switches and 3-5 disk shelves.  Shelves can be
purchased with fully redundant internals (dual data paths etc to SAS
drives).  That is not even that important. If each shelf is just looked at
as JBOD, then you can group disks from different shelves into btrfs or
hardware RAID groups.  Or... you can look at each disk as its own storage
with its own OSD.

A SAS switch going offline would have no impact since everything is cross
connected.

A whole shelf can go offline and it would only appear as a single drive
failure in a RAID group (if disks groups are distributed properly).

I'm not against your idea and I get the reasoning, however, in my opinion a distributed filesystem should not have interconnects on SAS basis between OSD nodes.

There are multiple ways to Rome, I know, but I'm just trying to view this from another perspective.

You can then get compute nodes fairly densely packed by purchasing
SuperMicro 2uTwin enclosures:
	http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/2UTwin2.cfm

You can get 3 - 4 of those compute enclosure with dual SAS connectors (each
enclosure not necessarily fully populated initially). The beauty is that the
SAS interconnect is fast.   Much faster than Ethernet.

Yes, SAS is faster than ethernet, but all the replication traffic between OSDs will still go over Ethernet. The OSD in his turn will write the data over SAS.

I'd actually think your SAS bus (although they are beefy) could become a bottleneck at some point.

Please bear in mind that I am looking to create a highly available and
scalable storage system that will fit in as small an area as possible and
draw as little power as possible.  The reasoning is that we co-locate all
our equipment at remote data centers.  Each rack (along with its associated
power and any needed cross connects) represents a significant ongoing
operational expense.  Therefore, for me, density and incremental scalability
are important.

Got ya. Operational costs in datacenters are getting higher and higher, sometimes it's worth investing more upfront so you can save operationally.

There is no high availability here.  Yes... You can try to do old school
magic with SAN file systems, complicated clustering, and synchronous
replication, but a RAIN approach appeals to me.  That is what I see in Ceph.
Don't get me wrong... I love ZFS... but am trying to figure out a scalable
HA solution that looks like RAIN. (Am I missing a feature of ZFS)?

I'm managing a couple of 50TB ZFS systems with Nexenta. The two nodes have 96GB of RAM each and all the disks are in LSI 630J JBOD's with LSI SAS switches, this way both nodes have access to the disks and thus the ZFS pool.

Expansion can be done by adding extra disks or creating a second pool and running that pool on a different node.

Since you are staying inside on rack I don't think you'll be doing that much IOps. A descent ZFS system can do 100k IOps without any issues, I don't think you'll do that with Ceph very soon in one rack (assuming your clients are in the same rack).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare you away from Ceph, just trying to view it from a different perspective.

For risk spreading you should not interconnect all the nodes.

I do understand this.  However, our operational setup will not allow
multiple racks at the beginning.  So... given the constraints of 1 rack
(with dual power and dual WAN links), I do not see that a pair of cross
connected SAS switches is any less reliable than a pair of cross connected
ethernet switches...

The problem with interconnected SAS switches is that IF something goes wrong your filesystem looses it's connection to the disk, risking valuable data which could still be in transit from buffers.

The risk would be that all the OSDs will loose access to their disks all at once.

Yes, it is redundant, but you wouldn't be the first to suffer from a firmware glitch somewhere.

By physically keeping this separated you don't have the risk of all OSDs loosing disk access at once.

As storage scales and we outgrow the single rack at a location, we can
overflow into a second rack etc.

True, that is something that you won't do with a ZFS setup that fast. The question you have to ask yourself: Do you want all your data on one system? Do you want to bet everything on one horse?

Wido