How to increase the number of pgs at pool creation time?

Hi List;

I am attempting to get a test ceph cluster up and running. I am using
ceph-0.50 across all nodes. I am attempting to get the number of pgs
to be around 100 per osd as per the documentation at:

http://ceph.com/docs/master/dev/placement-group/

I have attempted to increase the pgs via several methods:

1) Increase at mkcephfs time by passing --osd-pg-bits 7. This does not
work as this option does not exist on 0.50
    re: http://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg06923.html

2) Increase the number of pgs via ceph.conf (osd pg bits = 7) and
create the cluster. This does not work either as the cluster comes up
with 6 pgs bits per osd still.
    re: http://ceph.com/docs/master/config-cluster/osd-config-ref/

So I'm a bit lost! I cannot find a way to increase pgs at pool
creation time. Option 1 does not work at all. Option 2 seems to be
ignored. I have 68 OSD's. At 7 bits per OSD I should have 8704 (68 *
2^7) pgs, but I still end up with the default of 4352 (68 * 2^6).

I'm hoping I'm missing something simple, but if anyone is able to
point me in the correct direction, that would be appreciated!

Regards,

Tren