Re: Ceph performance improvement

Thank you for the answer David.

That looks like you're writing to a filesystem on that disk, rather than
the block device itself -- but lets say you've got 139MB/sec
(1112Mbit/sec) of straight-line performance.

Note: this is already faster than your network link can go -- you can,
at best, only achieve 120MB/sec over your gigabit link.

Yes, I am aware of that, I can't get more than the GB link. However, I mentionned this to show that the disk should not be a bottleneck.

Is this a dd to the RBD device directly, or is this a write to a file in
a filesystem created on top of it?

The RBD device is mounted and formatted with BTRFS.

dd will write blocks synchronously -- that is, it will write one block,
wait for the write to complete, then write the next block, and so on.
Because of the durability guarantees provided by ceph, this will result
in dd doing a lot of waiting around while writes are being sent over the
network and written out on your OSD.

Thank you for that information.

(If you're using the default replication count of 2, probably twice? I'm
not exactly sure what Ceph does when it only has one OSD to work on..?)

I don't know exactly how it behaves but "ceph -s" tells the cluster is degraded at 50%. Adding a second OSD allows Ceph to replicate.

Just ignoring networking and storage for a moment, this also isn't a
fair test: you're comparing the decompress-and-unpack time of a 139MB
tarball on a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM and a quad-core Xeon E5 that
has 8GB.

That's a very good point ! Comparing figures on the same host tells a different story (/mnt is Ceph RBD device) :)

root@ceph-osd-1:/home# time tar xzf ../src.tar.gz && sync

real    0m43.668s
user    0m9.649s
sys     0m20.897s