Re: ceph osd create

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Mandell Degerness
<mandell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to be able to generate the fsid to be used in the OSD (from the
> file system fsid, if that matters).  Is there a way to inject the fsid
> when initializing the OSD directory?  It doesn't seem to be
> documented.  The alternative would require that we mount the OSD in a
> temp dir to read the fsid file, determine the OSD number, and then
> re-mount it where it belongs, which seems the wrong way to go.

It's just a uuid.

Oh and you don't have to read the files if you don't want to get your
hands dirty; these days ceph-osd has --get-cluster-fsid,
--get-osd-fsid, --get-journal-fsid options:
http://ceph.com/docs/master/man/8/ceph-osd/

You can set the osd uuid at ceph-osd --mkfs time, just pass in --osd-uuid.

Sounds like you want to explore the world of OSD hotplugging. It comes
down to these two guys:

1. ceph-disk-prepare will take a block device, create a partition
table from scratch, and put the right stuff in place for the disk to
later become an active osd.

2. ceph-disk-activate, triggered by udev->upstart, or manually (later
udev->other init systems), will ceph-osd --mkfs the disk and start an
osd for it (currently upstart only).

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/ceph-disk-activate
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/ceph-disk-prepare

I'll happily explain this more, but I'd recommend you take a couple of
Ubuntu 12.04 virtual machines and run through the Chef installation
scenario in
http://ceph.com/docs/master/install/chef/
http://ceph.com/docs/master/config-cluster/
-- that'll probably help you understand the components better. None of
the underlying functionality is tied to Chef, that's just the first
thing getting ready.