Re: omap functions in librados.h

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/17/2012 09:54 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for the omap functions in librados.h, but they only seem to
>>> be
>>> implemented in librados.hpp?
>>>
>>> I want to store about 6000 objects in a RADOS pool, but I want to give
>>> them
>>> some attributes I can query for, this should be possible with the omap
>>> functionality, shouldn't it?
>>
>> What do you mean, query for? You can look at an object and ask if it
>> has "foo=bar" in its omap, but you can't say "give me all objects with
>> 'foo=bar'".
>>

> Ah, I must have understood that differently. I thought that leveldb was
> added so you could give objects attributes you could query.
No, leveldb is just a nice fast store — sorry!

> So yes: "Give me all objects that have foo=bar"
>
> I thought I saw some discussion regarding this.
>
> Any ideas besides setting up a own external database with this information?

Well, you could maintain the data in a single rados object, if it
doesn't need to get too large. Or Eleanor (one of our friendly
interns!) has been writing a prototype distributed b-tree database
thingy that you might want to look at.
But there are presently no plans to (or ideas of how to) implement a
generic query-able set of attributes which are co-located with nodes.
-Greg