Re: Fix local messages and lost wake-up in SimpleMessenger

On Aug 14, 2012, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you mind trying to reproduce this on the current master?

Tried, but couldn't.  It looks like it is indeed fixed in master, but
not in 0.50.

> BTW, if you have a script or anything you were using to test, that'd be
> great to add to our test suite.

It occurred occasionally while rsyncing (with -aH) trees containing
hardlinks into the ceph filesystem, but it became a real problem when I
decided to stop using snapshots and use hardlink farms instead.
Creating a hardlink farm of a tree containing hardlinks (like
/usr/share/zoneinfo) presumably compounds the problem, but I've hit it
most often after creating linkfarms of a few backups of my phone's root
directory, some old SHR GNU/Linux release, probably just because those
have enough directories and files to get stuff kicked out of the mds
cache.

You could probably trigger it with something like this:

rsync -aH /usr/share/zoneinfo/ /mnt/ceph/sub1/
rsync -aH /usr/share/zoneinfo/ /mnt/ceph/sub2/ --link-dest=/mnt/ceph/sub1/

umount /mnt/ceph
# ceph-fuse survives the umount, so wait
# till it flushes everything to the mds:
while killall -0 ceph-fuse; do sleep 1; done
restart mds # maybe not needed
mount /mnt/ceph

# kick all of sub1/ and sub2/ out of the cache somehow, and then:

ls -lR /mnt/ceph/sub2 # freezes

# restarting mds at this point may get it stuck at rejoin