Re: Puppet modules for Ceph

On Jul 18 09:41, Mark Nelson wrote:
> On 7/18/12 8:58 AM, François Charlier wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm currently working on writing a Puppet module for Ceph.
> >
> >As after some research I found no existing module, I'll start from
> >scratch but I would be glad to hear from people who would already have
> >started working or this or having any idea or pointers regarding this
> >subject.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >[ By the way, I'm fc on #ceph ! ]
> >

> Hi Francois,
>
> That's great!  You might want to look at the chef work that has been
> done as a base to start from.  I'm not very familiar with what is in
> place, but Tommi or Dan may chime in later with more details.  Some
> of the folks from Mediawiki were actually just talking about puppet
> modules yesterday on the IRC channel so they may be interested in
> collaborating too.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Hi,

I'd like to keep you updated on the progress I made so far :

- the module is published on github: https://github.com/fcharlier/puppet-ceph

- it's currently (only) able to install some MONs

- I hope to be able to add support for OSDs before next tuesday (because
  I'm on vacation after that …)

- I listed the necessary “manual” actions needed to install a Ceph
  cluster (gathered from the Ceph Chef Cookbook and the mkcephfs script)
  on our wiki : https://labs.enovance.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Puppet-ceph
  but it might still contain some errors.

- I've decided to stick with exported resources to transfer information
  between the nodes.

Any comment or contribution would be much appreciated !

Sincerely,
--
François Charlier                     Software Engineer
// eNovance labs               http://labs.enovance.com