Re: Tuning placement group

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:33 AM, François Charlier
<francois.charlier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Reading    http://ceph.com/docs/master/ops/manage/grow/placement-groups/
> and thinking to build a ceph cluster with potentially 1000 OSDs.
>
> Using the recommandations on the previously cited link, it would require
> pg_num being set between 10,000 &  30,000. Okay with that. Let's use the
> recommended value of 16,384 ; this  is alreay about 160 placement groups
> per OSD.
>
> What  if, for  a start,  we choose  to reach  this number  of 1000  OSDs
> slowly, starting with 100 OSDs ? It's now 1600 placement groups per OSD.
>
> What if  we chose 30,000 (or  32,768) placement groups to  keep room for
> expansion ?
>
> My question  is : How will  behave a Ceph  pool with 1000, 5000  or even
> 10000 placement groups per OSD ?  Will this impact performance ? How bad
> ? Can it be worked around ? Is this a problem of RAM size ? CPU usage ?
>
> Any hint about this would be much appreciated.

If I may, I'd like to add an additional point of consideration,
specifically for radosgw setups:

What's the recommended way to set the number of PGs for the half-dozen
pools that radosgw normally creates on its own (.rgw, .rgw.users,
.rgw.buckets and so on)? I *think* wanting to set a custom number of
PGs would require pre-creating these pools manually, but there may be
a way -- undocumented? -- to instruct radosgw to set a user-configured
number of PGs on pool creation. Insight on that would be much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Florian