Re: lazy io

Sage Weil <sage <at> newdream.net> writes:

> I just pushed out some "lazy io" patches to the unstable branches.  Lazy
> io is enabled on a file handle via a ceph ioctl (CEPH_IOC_LAZYIO).  Once
> that happens, an application can do buffered reads/writes even when a file
> is open on multiple clients, and is responsible for managing it's own
> cache conherency between nodes.
>
> An application can flush dirty data using sync_file_range(2), and
> invalidate cached data using posix_fadvise(2) (POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED).
> These are equivalent to the lazyio_propagate(2) and lazyio_synchronise(2)
> in the original O_LAZY proposal from the POSIX IO group way back when.
>
> If anybody is interested in testing this functionality, let us know!
>
> sage
>
> --
> the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Hi Sage,
Im looking for use Parallel HDF5 on CEPH, and I expecting that Lazy IO can
handle with Parallel IO on hdf file. I tried with ordinary CEPH although the
parallel processes stuck. I guess that each process read or write operation will
block until it is acknowledged by the OSD, right? How can I enable the Lazy IO
on CEPH? There is some branch that I can get it?
Regards
Tiago