Re: Does radosgw really need to talk to an MDS?

Hi,

On 02-07-12 13:41, Florian Haas wrote:
Hi everyone,

radosgw(8) states that the following capabilities must be granted to
the user that radosgw uses to connect to RADOS.

ceph-authtool -n client.radosgw.gateway --cap mon 'allow r' --cap osd
'allow rwx' --cap mds 'allow' /etc/ceph/keyring.radosgw.gateway

Could someone explain why we need an "mds 'allow'" in here? I thought
only CephFS clients talked to MDSs, and at first glance configuring
client.radosgw.gateway without any MDS capability seems not to break
anything (at least with my limited S3 tests). Am I missing something?

You are not allowing the RADOS Gateway to do anything on the MDS.

There is no 'r', 'w' or 'x' permission which you are allowing. So there is nothing the rgw has access to on the MDS.

Wido

Cheers,
Florian