ceph performance under xen?

I've installed a little, four node Ceph (0.47.2) cluster using Xen
virtual machines for testing, and when I run bonnie against a (kernel
driver) mount of it, it seems to be somewhat flaky (disturbing log
messages, occasional binary deaths), and very slow.  I expected some
slowness, with all the virtualization going on, but when bonnie is
running, simply doing a cd into the mount takes minutes to complete.
Is this to be expected, or is it worth spending time to investigate?
I intend to deploy this on bare metal eventually, but was hoping to
get some operational experience with Ceph before investing the money
in that.

For background, I'm investigating Ceph as a "redundant array of
inexpensive machines" replacement for RAID arrays at home.  I'm
planning eventually to deploy something (even if I have to write it
myself) that works essentially like Google's GFS, with a POSIX,
mountable interface, running on the cheapest machines I can assemble,
so there should be no failures that cannot be dealt with through
obvious and cheap hardware replacement.

Brian.