Re: filestore flusher = false , correct my problem of constant write (need info on this parameter)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
> Hi Sage,
> thanks for your response.
>
> >>If you turn off the journal compeletely, you will see bursty write commits
> >>from the perspective of the client, because the OSD is periodically doing
> >>a sync or snapshot and only acking the writes then.
> >>If you enable the journal, the OSD will reply with a commit as soon as the
> >>write is stable in the journal. That's one reason why it is there--file
> >>system commits of heavyweight and slow.
>
> Yes of course, I don't wan't to desactivate journal, using a journal on a fast ssd or nvram is the right way.
>
> >>If we left the file system to its own devices and did a sync every 10
> >>seconds, the disk would sit idle while a bunch of dirty data accumulated
> >>in cache, and then the sync/snapshot would take a really long time. This
> >>is horribly inefficient (the disk is idle half the time), and useless (the
> >>delayed write behavior makes sense for local workloads, but not servers
> >>where there is a client on the other end batching its writes). To prevent
> >>this, 'filestore flusher' will prod the kernel to flush out any written
> >>data to the disk quickly. Then, when we get around to doing the
> >>sync/snapshot it is pretty quick, because only fs metadata and
> >>just-written data needs to be flushed.
>
> mmm, I disagree.
>
> If you flush quickly, it's works fine with sequential write workload.
>
> But if you have a lot of random write with 4k block by exemple, you are
> going to have a lot of disk seeks. The way zfs works or netapp san
> storage works, they take random writes in a fast journal then flush them
> sequentially each 20s to slow storage.

Oh, I see what you're getting at.  Yes, that is not ideal for small random
writes.  There is a branch in ceph.git called wip-flushmin that just sets
a minimum write size for the flush that will probably do a decent job of
dealing with this: small writes won't get flushed, large ones will.
Picking the right value will depend on how expensive seeks are for your
storage system.

You'll want to cherry-pick just the top commit on top of whatever it is
you're running...

sage