Re: Rolling upgrades possible?

A rolling upgrade to 0.48 will be possible, provided the old version is
reasonably recent (0.45ish or later; I need to confirm that).

The upgrade will be a bit awkward because of teh disk format upgrade,
however.  Each ceph-osd will need to do a conversion on startup which can
take a while, so you will want to restart them on a per-host basis or
per-rack basis (depending on how your CRUSH map is structured).

The monitors are also doing an ncoding change, but will only make the
transition after all members of the quorum run the new code.  If you start
the upgrade with a degraded cluster and have another failure, you'll need
to make sure the recovering node(s) run new code.

The goal is to make all future upgrades possible using rolling upgrades.
It will be tricky with some of the OSD changes coming, but that is the
goal.

sage