Re: Recommendations for OSDs, RGW and MON

On 06/22/2012 11:28 AM, John Axel Eriksson wrote:
Currently we're running a test cluster with 1 mon, 1 radosgw and 2
osds. RGW runs on the same host as the mon while
the osds recides on two different servers. We have thought of maybe
running more than 1 osd on each storage server, where
the osds use different disks of course - is this something reasonable
or would performance/stability suffer?

No, that is not a problem at all. You can run multiple OSD's on one server.

Just make sure you have something like 1GB ~ 2GB per OSD available on memory.

See: http://www.ceph.com/docs/master/rec/

Is there any recommendation against running rgw/mon on the same
server? Would a better setup be to put osd/mon/rgw on each
server and loadbalancing rgw? Of course we might add more osd:s at
some point and I guess we don't want to run mons/rgw on
those.

You can mix the RGW and MON daemons, but you are better of in letting the OSD's run on their own, dedicated machines.

In a later stage you can always move the monitors to new machines.

Also, on Ubuntu 12.04, does anybody have experience with ceph on btrfs
performance or is the recommendation still to run on xfs?

I wouldn't run with the stock 12.04 kernel with btrfs. The story goes (see ml archive) that with kernel 3.5 there have been some btrfs improvements, but if you are only using the RGW, XFS might be your best option.

http://www.ceph.com/docs/master/rec/filesystem/

Wido

All this is for running only the object storage part of ceph (only
accessed through RGWs S3-interface).

Thanks,
John