Re: Building a small Ceph development environment

You don't need to virtualize anything — I'd recommend running Ubuntu
12.04 on it (you don't need to, but a lot of things will be more
performant), building from source, and then setting up the daemons so
everybody gets a separate disk.
Check out http://ceph.com/docs/master/source/ and the other docs and
let us know if you have any questions. :)