Ceph performance on Ubuntu Oneiric vs Ubuntu Precise

Hi Guys,

I've been tracking down some performance issues over the past month with our internal test nodes and believe I have narrowed it down to something related to Ubuntu Oneiric. Tests done on nodes running Ubuntu Precise are significantly faster.

One of the major differences between the releases is the support for syncfs in libc. Theoretically this shouldn't have a big effect on btrfs so I'm not totally sure that this is the culprit. Having said that, previous tests showed good SSD performance on Oneiric leading me to believe the lower latency mitigates the effect. Some of spinning disk seekwatcher results for Oneiric are quite strange with long periods of inactivity on the OSD data disks.

I wanted to post these results for those of you who have had performance problems in the past. If you are continuing to have issues, you may want to try testing on precise and see if you notice any changes. It is possible that all of this could be specific to our internal testing nodes, so I wouldn't mind hearing if other people have seen similar behavior.

These tests were done using rados bench with 16 concurrent requests. There are two nodes that each have a single 7200rpm OSD data disk and journal on a second 7200rpm disk. Replication is set at the default level (2). Kernel is 3.4 in all cases.

Here's a run down (Numbers are MB/s)

4KB Requests

			BTRFS	EXT4	XFS
Ceph 0.46/Oneiric:	0.073	0.694	0.723
Ceph 0.46/Precise:	2.15	2.031	1.546
Ceph 0.47.2/Oneiric:	1.072	0.836	0.749
Ceph 0.47.2/Precise:	2.566	2.579	1.498

128KB Requests:

			BTRFS	EXT4	XFS
Ceph 0.46/Oneiric:	11.874	20.066	12.641
Ceph 0.46/Precise:	49.304	39.736	38.982
Ceph 0.47.2/Oneiric:	13.81	19.05	12.739
Ceph 0.47.2/Precise:	47.943	49.655	36.764

4MB Requests:

			BTRFS	EXT4	XFS
Ceph 0.46/Oneiric:	110.202	26.58	15.445
Ceph 0.46/Precise:	135.975	128.759	106.426
Ceph 0.47.2/Oneiric:	91.337	46.277	23.897
Ceph 0.47.2/Precise:	136.906	134.955	106.545

I've posted seekwatcher results for all of the tests:

Ceph 0.46/Oneiric:	http://nhm.ceph.com/movies/sprint/test2
Ceph 0.46/Precise:	http://nhm.ceph.com/movies/sprint/test3
Ceph 0.47.2/Oneiric:	http://nhm.ceph.com/movies/sprint/test4
Ceph 0.47.2/Precise:	http://nhm.ceph.com/movies/sprint/test5