Re: Performance benchmark of rbd

Hi Eric!

On 6/13/12 5:06 AM, Eric_YH_Chen@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi, all:

     I am doing some benchmark of rbd.
     The platform is on a NAS storage.

     CPU: Intel E5640 2.67GHz
     Memory: 192 GB
     Hard Disk: SATA 250G * 1, 7200 rpm (H0) + SATA 1T * 12 , 7200rpm
(H1~ H12)
     RAID Card: LSI 9260-4i
     OS: Ubuntu12.04 with Kernel 3.2.0-24
     Network:  1 Gb/s

     We create 12 OSD on H1 ~ H12 with the journal is put on H0.

Just to make sure I understand, you have a single node with 12 OSDs and 3 mons, and all 12 OSDs are using the H0 disk for their journals? What filesystem are you using for the OSDs? How much replication?

     We also create 3 MON in the cluster.
     In briefly, we setup a ceph cluster all-in-one, with 3 monitors and
12 OSD.

     The benchmark tool we used is fio 2.0.3. We had 7 basic test case
     1)  sequence write with bs=64k
     2)  sequence read with bs=64k
     3)  random write with bs=4k
     4)  random write with bs=16k
     5)  mix read/write with bs=4k
     6)  mix read/write with bs=8k
     7)  mix read/write with bs=16k

     We create several rbd with different object size for the benchmark.

     1.  size = 20G, object size =  32KB
     2.  size = 20G, object size = 512KB
     3.  size = 20G, object size =  4MB
     4.  size = 20G, object size = 32MB

Given how much memory you have, you may want to increase the amount of data you are writing during each test to rule out caching.

     We have some conclusion after the benchmark.

     a.  We can get better performance of sequence read/write when the
object size is bigger.
                    Seq-read			Seq-write
         32 KB		23 MB/s			 690 MB/s
        512 KB		26 MB/s			 960 MB/s
          4 MB   	27 MB/s			1290 MB/s
         32 MB		36 MB/s			1435 MB/s

Which test are these results from? I'm suspicious that the write numbers are so high. Figure that even with a local client and 1X replication, your journals and data partitions are each writing out a copy of the data. You don't have enough disk in that box to sustain 1.4GB/s to both even under perfectly ideal conditions. Given that it sounds like you are using a single 7200rpm disk for 12 journals, I would expect far lower numbers...

     b. There is no obvious influence for random read/write when the
object size is different.
       All the result are in a range not more than 10%.

        rand-write-4K		rand-write-16K		mix-4K
mix-8k		mix-16k
        881 iops			564 iops
1462 iops	1127 iops	1044 iops

     c. It we change the environment, for every 3 hard drive, we bind
them together by RAID0. (LSI 9260-4i RAID card)
        So the ceph cluster becomes 3 MONs and 4 OSD (3T for each)
        We can get better performance on all items, around 10% ~ 20%
enhancement.

Those IOPs numbers are more what I would expect. Using HW raid0 may provide some benefit depending on the number of OSDs per node. It's something we haven't had time to look at yet in detail, but is on our list.

	d. If we change H0 to a SSD device, and we also put all journal
on it. We can get better performance on sequence-write.
       It would reach 135MB/s. However, there are no different for other
test items.

     We want to check with you, if all the conclusion are reasonable for
you? Or any seems strange? Thanks!

When you say that using an SSD device increases the sequence-write speeds to 135MB/s, what are you comparing that to? Incidentally that level of performance is entirely believable with 12 OSDs sharing a single SSD for journals.

The write results with the 7200rpm journal disk do look strange to me, but it's tough to say what's going on. If the numbers are accurate, I'd say writes aren't getting to the disks. If they are mislabeled (IE 1.435MB/s or 1435Mb/s instead 1435MB/s), then things are more believable and I'd try putting your journals on a small partition on each disk (causes some extra seek behavior and lower OSD throughput, but better than stacking the journals up on a single slow disk).

     ====

     Here is some data if I use command provided by rados.
	rados -p rbd bench 120 write -t 8

	Total time run:        120.751713
	Total writes made:     930
	Write size:            4194304
	Bandwidth (MB/sec):    30.807

	Average Latency:       1.03807
	Max latency:           2.63197
	Min latency:           0.205726

	[INF] bench: wrote 1024 MB in blocks of 4096 KB in 13.219819 sec
at 79318 KB/sec

That looks much closer to what I would expect if you have 12 journals all sharing a single 7200rpm drive.