Re: Ceph questions regarding auth and return on PUT from radosgw

On 06/11/2012 02:41 PM, John Axel Eriksson wrote:
Oh sorry. I don't think I was clear on the auth question. What I meant
was if the admin.keyring and keys for the osd:s are really necessary
in a private ceph-cluster.

I'd say: Yes

With keys in place you can ensure that a rogue machine starts bringing down your cluster.

Scenario: You take a machine offline in a cluster, let it sit in storage for some while and a couple of months later somebody wonders what that machine does.

Plugs it into a switch, power and boots. Suddenly this old machine which is way behind on software starts participating in your cluster again and could potentially bring it all down.

But it could even be even more simple. You set up a second Ceph cluster for some tests, but while playing with the 'rados' command you accidentally connect to the wrong cluster and issue a "rmpool". Oops!

With auth in place you have a barrier against such situations.

Wido