Re: How to turn on async write of rbd ?

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012, Eric_YH_Chen@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear All:
>
>    I saw rbd support "async writes" since 0.36, http://ceph.com/2011/09/
>    But I cannot find related document that how to turn on it.
>    Should I just write "enabled" to /sys/devices/rbd/0/power/async?

This was referring to the ill-conceived 'rbd writeback window'
functionality in librbd (userspace client only, never implemented in the
kernel).  It was removed because it was a broken and could lead to data
loss.

The current librbd has a proper cache with performs better and is actually
safe to use.  It's enabled with 'rbd cache = true', or (with upstream but
unreleased qemu) via the qemu cache=writeback or cache=writethrough
options.

For kernel rbd, I would layer something on top of it if you want caching.
Maybe bcache?

>    One more thing, If I want to implement iSCSI multipath with RBD, just
> like http://ceph.com/wiki/ISCSI
>    Can I turn on the async writes under this situation?

No.  The caching will probably also be problematic with any uses where
more than one client is accessing the device.  Even file systems like gfs2
or ocfs2 (I presume) assume read-after-write, even without issuing a flush
to the device.  That won't work with the rbd client cache.

sage