Re: Can we mount cephfs in centos 5.7 ?

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Travis Rhoden wrote:
> Sorry for the re-post.  First attempt got eaten by the mailing list
> because it wasn't plain text.  My first attempt!
>
> > With CephFS not quite ready for production, what would be the
> > recommended way for sharing Ceph to older operating systems?
> > Specifically, I want to share a file system (i.e. mount a common
> > directory) on several CentOS5 and CentOS6 nodes.  I don't think I can
> > mount an RBD from more than one node, so what is my best bet?
> >
> > Mount an RBD on a file "head" and export it via NFS?
> >
> > I feel like that is the only sane choice, but wanted to ask in case I
> > am missing something better.

Two things:

* 2.6.18 is crazy-old.  It's possible the libceph and rbd bits could be
merged in, but getting the fs to work with ancient VFS will be a world of
pain.

* NFS reexport works in basic scenarios, but should not be used in
production as there are various conditions that can lead to ESTALE.
Making it work is somewhere on the mid-term roadmap, but it'll be a while.

Your best bet is to run cephfs on a modern kernel.  But be warned, we
aren't ready to support the fs just yet.  Soon!

sage