Re: poor OSD performance using kernel 3.4

I think filestore journal parallel works only with btrfs.
Other filesystem are writeahead.

if you write at 120MB/S, so your journal of 1GB is at 50% in 4sec.

So you got around 480MB each 4sec, does your disks can flush sequentially these 480MB in less than 4sec ?
(do a small benchmark of your disk in local filesystem, without ceph)

If not, you can have spikes in your write stats if the journal.

simple schema if disks are not fast enough:

0-4sec
------
random write (first wave 480MB) --->journal

4-8sec
------
random write (second wave)---->journal---->write flush of first wave(480MB) --->disks

8-12sec
-------
random write (thirst wave) blocked ---->journal---->write of second wave-blocked---->write flush of first wave not yet finished(480MB) --->disks

good schema
-----------
0-4sec
------
random write (first wave 480MB) --->journal

4-8sec
------
random write (second wave)---->journal---->write flush of first wave(480MB) --->disks

8-12sec
-------
random write (thirst wave)---->journal---->write of second wave(480MB) --->disks

So, with a bigger journal, you have more datas to write to disks, so you can write more datas sequentially in 1 flush.
4sec seem very low, you need to have 20-30sec between flush.

How many disks (7,2K) do you have by osd ?