Re: Designing a cluster guide

2012/5/20 Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Am 19.05.2012 18:15, schrieb Alexandre DERUMIER:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For your journal , if you have money, you can use
>>
>> stec zeusram ssd drive. (around 2000€ /8GB / 100000 iops read/write with
>> 4k block).
>> I'm using them with zfs san, they rocks for journal.
>> http://www.stec-inc.com/product/zeusram.php
>>
>> another interessesting product is ddrdrive
>> http://www.ddrdrive.com/
>

> Great products but really expensive. The question is do we really need this
> in case of rbd block device.

I think it depends, what you are planning to do. I was calculating
different storage type for our cloud solution lately. I think that
there are three different types that make sense (at least for us):

- Cheap Object Storage (S3):

  Many 3,5'' SATA Drives for the storage (probably in a RAID config)
  A small and cheap SSD for the journal

- Basic Block Storage (RBD):

  Many 2,5'' SATA Drives for the storage (RAID10 and/or mutliple OSDs)
  Small MaxIOPS SSDs for each OSD journal

- High performance Block Storage (RBD)

  Many large SATA SSDs for the storage (prbably in a RAID5 config)
  stec zeusram ssd drive for the journal

Regards,
Christian