Re: reproductible kernel oops with kernel 3.2 inside kvm

Hi Yann,

Sorry for the late response.

On 05/03/2012 07:05 AM, Yann Dupont wrote:
Hello. I'm stress testing ceph since some time now, with quite good
results. I really like ceph and will probably use in in some
pre-production services.

Anyway I've seen some bugs.

One of them is instability if the kernel is running inside KVM, leading
to a very fast (and reproductible) kernel oops. On bare metal this
particular oops doesn't happen.

The kernel oops itself involve ceph, but it could be a real bug in kvm too.

The host machine is runnning 3.2.2
kvm is quite ancien (0.14)
guest OS is ubuntu 12.04 with his standard kernel. Retried with custom
3.2 kernel with the same problem.

I'm not sure how many people are using the kernel client within kvm,
but I haven't seen this problem before. Since it's in d_prune, it's
probably Ceph related, but perhaps kvm makes a race condition trigger
more often in your environment.

I filed http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/2444 to track this.