Re: Possible memory leak in mon?

On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Vladimir Bashkirtsev wrote:
> Dear devs,
>
> I have three mons and two of them suddenly consumed around 4G of RAM
> while third one happily lived with 150M. This immediately prompts few
> questions:
>
> 1. What is expected memory use of mon? I believed that mon merely
> directs clients to relevant OSDs and should not consume a lot of
> resources - please correct me if I am wrong.
> 2. In both cases where mon consumed a lot of memory it was preceded by
> disk-full condition and both machines where incidents happened are 64
> bit, rest of cluster 32 bit. mon fs and log files happened to be in the
> same partition - ceph osd produced a lot of messages, filled up disk,
> mon crashed (no core as disk was full), manually deleted logs, restarted
> mon without any issue, some time later found mon using 4G of RAM.
> Running 0.45. Should I deliberately recreate conditions and crash mon to
> get more debug info (if you need it of course, and if yes then what)?
> 3. Does figure 4G per process coming from 32 bit pointers in mon? Or mon
> potentially can consume more than 4G?
>
> Regards,
> Vladimir
> --

First: one email is enough.

Second: in normal use your monitors should not consume very much memory. It sounds like something's wrong. Can you please provide the output of "ceph -s"?
Also, do you have any monitor logging on? My best guess is that for some reason the monitors aren't all communicating with each other and so they are buffering messages.
-Greg