Re: rados import/export

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 13:50, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The real question here is how *should* we be storing omap values when we
> > export to/import from regular files?  A specially-marked (with xattr) .db
> > file?
>
> Does just adding a .db suffix make the name safe? If yes, xattr is not
> needed; if no, it's not enough. Reading src/rados_export.cc and
> src/rados_sync.cc, I see nothing like that. What if I have objects
> "foo" and "foo.db" in a pool?

I'm pretty sure we need to mark the object with a magic xattr.  Which
probably means the filename itself needs to be mangled to avoid colliding
with other objects.  Probably an xattr on the object file referring to the
external mangled file with the k/v content.

> Note to self: the only thing avoiding collisions for e.g. "foo/" and
> "foo$" is the hash.

I vaguely recall Colin talking about the trailing /, but we may have
decided to ignore the problem for now.

> > A related problem is how to store placement key strings for objects with
> > modified placement; I can't remember if we already did something for that
> > yet or not (maybe specially-named xattr?).
>
> Commit 717621f66eb7da54c0000ff52985235dc6a17843, combined with nothing
> else touching src/rados_export.cc after it, makes me think we don't
> preserve the locator.

Ok, we should fix that at the same time, then.

sage