Re: SAS disks for OSD's

Hello,

I don't think you will see a great difference in performance between "sas" and "sata" disks, because the connection type is only a minor point in performance. There are other factors that impact the performance a lot more. How many RPMs are the disks? The more RPM the lower the average seek time. Lower average seek time is great for random IO. How dense are the disks, with more sectors per cilinder you can read or write more data per round. Great for sequential IO.

And there are other factors that impact performance. But in general the "sata" disks are disks with low RPMs and high density, therefor they are (in general) poor on random IO and great on sequential IO. With the "sas" disks it's the other way around. But even something like 2.5" vs 3.5" can impact performance because it can have impact on the density of the disk.

But I think using a "sas" disk as journal won't give you any performance gain. As journal you want a device that can handle a lot of IOPS and also have a lot of bandwidth. I think a SSD gives a good balance between IOPS, bandwidth, size and price (compared to sata/sas disks and nvram).

"sas" disks for the OSD can gain you performance compared to the "sata" disks, but it depends on the specs of the disk, the workload, the kind and size of the journal, ratio between write/read, etc. So it's a little difficult to tell you if the "sas" disks gain you any or enough performance for the extra cost.

Stefan