Re: wip-librbd-caching

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Martin Mailand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I tried the wip-librbd-caching branch. The performance improvement is
> very good particular for small writes.
> I tested from within a vm with fio:
>
> rbd_cache_enabled=1
>
> fio -name iops -rw=write -size=10G -iodepth 1 -filename /tmp/bigfile -ioengine
> libaio -direct 1 -bs 4k
>
> I get over 10k iops
>
> With an iodepth 4 I get over 30k iops
>
> In comparison with the rbd_writebackwindow I get around 5k iops with an
> iodepth of 1.
>
> So far the whole cluster is running stable for over 12 hours.

Great to hear!

> But there is also a downside.
> My typical vm are 1Gb in size, the default cache size is 200Mb, which is 20%
> more memory usage. Maybe 50Mb or less will be enough?
> I am going to test that.

The config options you'll want to look at are client_oc_* (in case you
didn't see that already :).  "oc" is short for objectcacher, and it isn't
only used for client (libcephfs), so it might be worth renaming these
options before people start using them.

> The other point is, that the cache is not KSM enabled, therefore identical
> pages will not be merged, could that be changed, what would be the downside?
>
> So maybe we could reduce the memory footprint of the cache, but keep it's
> performance.

I'm not familiar with the performance implications of KSM, but the
objectcacher doesn't modify existing buffers in place, so I suspect it's a
good candidate.  And it looks like there's minimal effort in enabling
it...

sage