Re: osd shutdown notification

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:52, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> For daemon crashes, perhaps the next run, after upstart/etc restarts
>> the daemon, can somehow convince others proactively that the new
>> osd.42 is better than the old osd.42. That sounds like a good feature
>> to have..
>
> That much we already have, but startup/restart can take a while.
> sysvinit doesn't do auto-restart, though, and it would be nice not to rely
> on it in upstart/whatever.

I think daemon restarting is just something you can assume to exist in
the modern world.

> I can also imagine a scenario where we don't have auto-restart but do want
> fast failure notification...

Perhaps a separate executable that sends "osd.42 is now definitely
down" will be good enough? Hopefully you don't have two osd.42's
around, anyway. And if you want that, instead of execing ceph-osd, you
do a fork & exec, wait in the parent, then exec that thing that marks
it down. For upstart (and often for others too), there's a "after the
service exits" hook where we could also plug that in, if we wanted to.