Re: non-btrfs and checksumming, rados tutorial, planning wrt documentation

Plaetinck, Dieter <dieter <at> vimeo.com> writes:

> 1) if you don't use btrfs (i.e. xfs) will checksumming still be done? by the
OSD's? does the checksumming
> happen on every data read, or do underused OSD's also checksum their data in
the background? (like
> openstack swift does).  if checksum mismatch, what does the client see, and
what actions are taken? for
> example if you use librados, will the librados api return the read data to the
user (even if known to be
> invalid), throw an error, or will librados try to read from other nodes first
to try to return the valid
> data?) will the disk be marked as failed, or will the system attempt to
overwrite the bad file with a good copy?

> 2) I'm trying to set up basic rados distributed object storage cluster. I've
successfully
> followed http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Installing_on_RedHat_or_CentOS, but now
I'm stuck trying
> to configure and actually run the thing.
> (I didn't modify the prefix and the various *dir configure arguments, as I
think /usr/local is the best
> location, for now)
> I found http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Simple_test_setup but it's more than 2
years old, the
> workingdir.conf it refers to doesn't exist anymore.
> is a matter of copying src/sample.ceph.conf to /usr/local/etc, modifying it,
and then?
> How to set up a basic rados cluster?
>
> 3) I saw in the "lords of ceph" footage somebody mentioning work would start
on improving the docs.  Is there
> any concrete planning on this you can share?
>
> thanks,
> Dieter
> --
> the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Dieter,

I am coming up to speed as quickly as possible,
and should check in some updates on Friday,
which hopefully will get rolled into the main branch
with the team's approval.

So that my updates are not just a well-crafted parroting
of what's been done already, I'm actually pulling from git
and building the source myself to ensure that we cover all
of the pre-requisites, at least in Ubuntu. So once that's
available sometime next week, I'd appreciate your feedback,
including any significant differences between installing on
RedHat or CentOS versus Ubuntu and Debian.

Regards,

John