Re: Theoretical questions

1. The standby mds does not maintain cached metadata in memory or
serve reads.  When taking over from a failed mds, it reads the
primary's journal, which does warm up its cache somewhat.  Optionally,
you can put an mds into standby-replay for an active mds.  In this case,
the standby-replay mds will continually replay the primary's journal in
order to more quickly take over in the case of a crash.

2. Primary-copy is the only strategy currently implemented.

3. On a sync, we wait for commits to ensure data safety.

4. I don't quite understand this question.

5.  Currently, there is not a good way to accomplish this using only
ceph.  Replication is synchronous on writes, so you would be paying
the latency cost between data centers on each write if you wanted to
replicate between data centers.  We don't currently support reading from
the closest replica.