Re: platform requirements / centos 6.2

On 03/21/2012 05:16 AM, Plaetinck, Dieter wrote:
Hello,
Ceph/Rados looks very well designed and engineered.
I would like to build a cluster to test the rados distributed object storage (not the distributed FS or block devices)
I've seen the list of dependencies on the wiki, but it doesn't mention specific versions for the libraries and tools, nor lists anything about the Linux kernel version.

The ceph configure script is pretty good about checking for
minimum required versions of libs, etc.

Btrfs is getting updates every kernel release, so the sane thing would probably be using the most recent kernel possible (3.3, released a few days ago even has more btrfs improvements)
However, we prefer using Centos 6.2, which uses Linux 2.6.32, and since we don't need the snapshotting feature, I would opt for xfs instead of btrfs.  AFAICT btrfs is only recommended if you want snapshots.

Does this seem like a good plan?  Or would this platform be too outdated?  What are the required or recommended versions of the dependencies?
(for example, in centos 6.2 libuuid is at 2.17.2, libedit 2.11)
Anyone else running on centos 6.2?

I have a ceph testbed running on RHEL 6.2 using kernel.org kernels.
I use both stable series kernels, and Linus's master branch (usually
after -rc3 or so on each new kernel).  Occasionally a new driver
version for my hardware wants a new firmware blob, which is easy
to get from the kernel.org linux-firmware tree.

-- Jim

Thanks guys,
Dieter

PS: links to http://ceph.newdream.net/docs/master/ and